Thursday, September 18, 2008

Popeye.

I have been back to work - in either part-time or full-time capacity - for almost three weeks. For the first two weeks, my co-workers heckled me for not having any photos of Colin in my office. So, this week, to make amends, I brought in some of my favorite pictures.

It's worth noting that, while Colin is smiling now and has been for several weeks, he doesn't smile at just anything. His smiles are hard-earned. As a result, he isn't smiling in any of the pictures. He is, however, doing this:

I'm crazy about this picture. I think it's hilarious. However, in just one day, three of my co-workers (three!) said he looks like Popeye. I didn't know three people in one office could even remember what Popeye looks like - let alone, compare Colin's shrewd, discerning smirk to Popeye's whatever-he's-doing.*

* Apparently, there's some debate on this. Wikipedia says that early renditions of Popeye had him with only one good eye (he lost his right eye in "the mos' arful battle" of his life). Later, his right eyewas just squinty. Either way, Popeye isn't supposed to be a good-looking dude.

Clearly, I'm biased. And clearly, I'd rather think my son looks like Brad. Or me. Basically, anyone who isn't a one-eyed, 1950's cartoon character. Even with that disclosure, I don't see the similarity. But what do I know? I'm just his mom.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I am so glad you guys started a blog. Now after years of blog stalking me, I can return the favor. Colin is adorable as ever and looks nothing like Popeye.

Can't wait to hear how Seattle is treating you.