Saturday, September 20, 2008

Master Archer? Probably not.

Colin is a tremendously easy baby. He's so easy that we can tote him along on all our errands and to friends' houses, and he happily hangs-out, listening to what's going on and contributing with various coos, gurgles, snorts, and growls. After nearly 11 weeks like this, I was starting to think that, maybe, Colin was really something special. Not just special, but, like, really remarkable. Like maybe he'd talk especially early or discover a prodigous ability in math (... or music... or archery... anything) by age 3. He just seems so put together, how could he not? But then, this happened:

We spent Friday night hanging-out with our friends, Shawn and Andrea They have two kids, so Andrea has a stockpile of age-appropriate toys for C-Monkey. During one of Colin's more sage moments - in which he looked like he was lapping up all that was going on around him and filing it in some sort of impressive mental filing cabinet - Andrea hung this toy* from the handle of his car seat:

All contemplation was lost. Colin went berserk for that frog. He stared at it, enraptured, for at least three minutes. So, I take back my aspirational speculation that Colin might be a master archer at 3. Apparently, Colin's mental machinations are far more humble; they're more like, "That frog is off the hook!"

* Some facts have been changed for the ease of storytelling. Mostly, what changed was the type of animal. In reality, it was a striped blue tiger. But apparently, Bright Starts no longer makes the striped blue tiger clip-on friend. It was replaced by a (far less imaginative) green frog. So, really, Colin thinks that a blue tiger is off the hook. I wish I didn't have to resort to artistic license in only my fourth blog post, but I didn't have a camera handy to show the real toy, and I had to rely on finding what I could on the internet. If you have a complaint, I suggest you take it to Bright Starts.

2 comments:

Johnny & Alli said...

Oh good! I'm so glad you have a blog now...we've been waiting!

Unknown said...

I imagine any child of yours does have some amazing ability that has yet to reveal itself to the outside world...but I know its there. PS...love the info on Neptune!!!