Saturday, November 15, 2008

What Statistics Really Mean.

Colin had his four-month check up on Friday.  
I've never fooled myself.  I know Colin is big.  Like, really big.  I think this because strangers on the street will stop us and say things like, "Wow, he's big. Like, really big." 

But on Friday, I found out exactly how big.  He is 26 1/4" long and 19.2 pounds.  That's the 89% and the 96%, respectively.  I took it in stride at the moment.  "Sure," I thought.  "Ninety-sixth percentile.  Who isn't?"  But then I got home and realized exactly who isn't: 99 people in 100 aren't in the 96th percentile.  And then I got to thinking about what those statistics really mean.

If there were 100 babies in a room (and let's be honest: that's a lot of babies), and someone patiently lined up all 100 babies in descending order of weight, Colin would be the fourth baby to be lined up.   The fourth!   He'll fall asleep waiting for the other 96 babies to be organized. And by the time the job's done, he'll be ready for snack.

If you're the 4th-heaviest baby in the room (or, if it makes you feel better, the 96th-lightest), raise your hand!


2 comments:

{Katie} said...

Hilarious! Let's be honesty, he would also probably be the first one in line if cuteness was measured!

kim said...

Our little Henry is in the 99th percentile for weight...I say the chunkier the better:)